CJ 475 Intervention Policies in Juvenile Justice
Prerequisites: Upper division standing, CJ 300, or consent on instructor.
Description: Critical examination of juvenile justice treatment and intervention policies over the past 200 years. Special emphasis on contemporary systems of care and revolutionizing practices.
1. Evolution of state role in treatment of children
2. Origins of the House of Refuge Movement
3. Prevention agencies and Reform Schools 1850-1890
a) San Francisco history
b) The origins of California's Juvenile Justice System
a) California Juvenile Court
b) The Early Juvenile Court
a) Development of Youth Corrections
b) History of the California Youth Authority
7. Youth Corrections Authority
8. Juveniles in Adult Court
9. Closing Massachusetts Training Schools