Justice by Geography
1–25 of 62 items | Next »
Standing while black
- Randall G. Shelden, Dec 5, 2013
- Some have claimed the “end of racism” in this country. The most recent claim comes from the Republican Party.
Counties' continued disparities in Realignment implementation
- Sep 10, 2013
- Fact sheet on county-by-county implementation of AB 109 Realignment using data through June 30, 2013.
CA Forward Forum Discusses Split Sentencing in California
- Brian Goldstein, Jun 27, 2013
- Despite their given benefits, what could explain California's disparity in split sentencing and how can counties work to increase their use?
Counties’ continued decline in reliance on state youth facilities
- May 30, 2013
- CJCJ’s California Sentencing Institute (CASI) released its 2011 juvenile justice data today, showing a continued trend away from state confinement and towards community-based options for…
2011 data provide baseline and initial effects of Realignment
- May 23, 2013
- CJCJ’s California Sentencing Institute (CASI) released its 2011 data today, providing a statewide baseline of county practices prior to, and in the initial stages of, AB 109 implementation.
Report smacks Monterey County for sending more than its share of felons to prison.
- Apr 4, 2013
- By sending more non-violent felons to prison than the state average, Monterey County isn’t doing as much as it could to help efforts for prison realignment, according to a new report.
- Apr 1, 2013
- Senior Research Fellow, Mike Males, discusses Realignment's impact on county-by-county disparities.
Beyond Realignment: Counties’ large disparities in imprisonment underlie ongoing prison crisis
- Mar 21, 2013
- California’s crises of prison overcrowding, unsustainable costs, and court-ordered population reductions are perpetuated by the disparate implementation of Realignment.
California’s Urban Crime Increase in 2012: Is “Realignment” to Blame?
- Jan 24, 2013
- This publication analyzes whether Realignment — in this case, the 46,000 offenders diverted to local management — contributed to increase in urban offenses in the first half of 2012.
Prison realignment shows slow progress
- Dec 17, 2012
- Prison realignment shows slow progress 23ABC News, December 13, 2012
Charging Youth as Adults: What's the Impact?
- Dec 11, 2012
- The juvenile justice system works best when it rehabilitates youthful offenders and gives them the life skills to succeed. To solely emphasize punishment, neither serves the best interest of the…
One Year into Realignment: Progress Stalls, Stronger Incentives Needed
- Dec 1, 2012
- One Year into Realignment: Progress Stalls, Stronger Incentives Needed
Little Hoover Commission discusses need for sentencing reform
- Selena Teji, Nov 28, 2012
- Today, the Little Hoover Commission (LHC) hosted a public hearing on bail and sentencing reform in the State Capitol. LHC is an independent state oversight agency created in 1962 to investigate…
NEW: juvenile justice interactive map
- Nov 14, 2012
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 14, 2012 CJCJ's California Sentencing Institute releases the juvenile justice interactive map , includes county-by-county data visualizations San Francisco, CA :…
Juveniles in adult courts: Moving in the opposite direction
- Brian Heller de Leon, Sep 6, 2012
- California is moving in the opposite direction of the rest of the nation when it comes to transferring juveniles into adult court systems. California's practice of filing juvenile cases in adult…
CJCJ Newsletter - Preliminary CA realignment data
- Aug 31, 2012
- Is realignment working?
CASI featured on Valley Public Radio, Mike Males explains trends
- Aug 13, 2012
- CJCJ's California Sentencing Institute (CASI), released on July 30, featured on Valley Edition on August 7, 2012. CASI shows that on average, Valley counties utilize state and local…
Study Highlights High Incarceration Rate in Valley Counties
- Aug 8, 2012
- Study Highlights High Incarceration Rate in Valley Counties Valley Public Radio, August 7, 2012
Butte County felony imprisonments second in state per capita
- Aug 6, 2012
- Butte County felony imprisonments second in state per capita Chico Enterprise-Record, August 6, 2012
Charging youths as adults in California, 2003-2010
- Aug 1, 2012
- Charging youths as adults in California, 2003-2010
UPDATE: Nine Months into Realignment: California's Prisoner Decline Continues
- Aug 1, 2012
- UPDATE: Nine Months into Realignment: California's Prisoner Decline Continues
California's myriad sentencing practices
- Selena Teji, Jul 31, 2012
- Yesterday, CJCJ launched the California Sentencing Institute's (CASI) new interface that allows for quicker, easier visual representations of California's statewide sentencing practices. …
CJCJ Newsletter - Presenting the California Sentencing Institute (CASI)
- Jul 31, 2012
- Interactive sentencing map – what’s going on in your county?
To Avoid Prison, Move to One of These Counties
- Jul 31, 2012
- To Avoid Prison, Move to One of These Counties KQED, July 30, 2012
California Sentencing Institute (CASI) launches new improved interface
- Jul 30, 2012
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 30, 2012 San Francisco, CA: Today CJCJ is launching its new and improved interface for the California Sentencing Institute (CASI) . The new map features interactive…
1–25 of 62 items | Next »
Explore how California’s 58 counties send their residents to correctional institutions with interactive maps, charts, and downloadable data.