1–25 of 167 items | Next »
CJCJ releases new resource to help people get a fresh start
- Erica Webster, Nov 20, 2014
- CJCJ is thrilled to announce the launch of Seal It , a new resource to help people seal their juvenile records.
The Sixties Have Returned in Ferguson
- Randall G. Shelden, Oct 28, 2014
- The continuing protests in Missouri show that racial segregation in the US is just as problematic as it was in the '60s.
Ferguson and the militarization of the police
- Randall G. Shelden and William B. Brown, Sep 2, 2014
- "The behavior of the police in Ferguson, were it conducted by soldiers or Marines in Iraq or Afghanistan, would be viewed as violations of the Rules of Engagement and result in Court Martials."
Who Are Police Killing?
- Mike Males, Aug 26, 2014
- Over the last four decades, some 15,000 Americans have been killed by law enforcement officers. Native Americans are most at risk, followed by African Americans.
Violence Prevention has a New Champion
- Dinky Manek Enty, Aug 19, 2014
- After seven amazing years of dedicated work, Kate McCracken, CJCJ’s Director of Policy and Development, will be moving her efforts into a specific violence prevention role as a Senior Planner…
Scapegoating the Poor
- Lizzie Buchen, Jul 22, 2014
- The story of a single working mother who faces a decade in prison for allowing her daughter to play in a park unsupervised demonstrates our foolish reliance on incarceration and punishment as a way…
Who's Threatening Murrieta's "Safety"?
- Mike Males, Jul 2, 2014
- A California city's mayor and shouting protestors claim 140 Latino women and child immigrants threaten their town's "safety." The city's own crime statistics suggest otherwise.
Debtor’s Prisons, Part II
- Randall Shelden, Jun 24, 2014
- Senior Research Fellow explores the concept of the debtor's prison in this CJCJ blog.
Remembering John Vasconcellos
- Dan Macallair, Jun 17, 2014
- With the death of former State Senator John Vasconcellos on May 29, the California criminal justice reform community lost one of its great champions. Vasco, as he was affectionately known, was one of…
“Demographic Scapegoating”: How Leaders and Interests Profit from Social Crises
- Mike Males, Jun 6, 2014
- While invoking tones of concern and inclusion, American leaders exploit social problems to flatter powerful older constituencies by stigmatizing young people
- Randall Shelden, May 29, 2014
- Senior Researcher Randy Shelden discusses wealth and income inequality in this CJCJ blog.
Why not a war on child poverty?
- Mike Males, Apr 22, 2014
- Senior Research Fellow Mike Males is featured in Reuters discussing youth crime and poverty.
Why Statistical Bigotry Is Just Bigotry, Round 2
- Mike Males, Apr 2, 2014
- Chronicle columnist Chip Johnson shows once again how statistics are misused to justify prejudicial policing
Kicked Out of School for Not Being “Feminine” Enough
- Randall G. Shelden, Mar 29, 2014
- Girls growing up face hurdles concerning gender identity and this bears directly to what they face upon entering the juvenile justice system.
President Obama to Youth of Color: You’re on Your Own
- Mike Males, Mar 4, 2014
- Mike Males critiques the President's new My Brother's Keeper initiative, asking why the federal government is not investing in measures to reduce youth poverty.
Is "Child Prostitution" the Real "Epidemic"?
- Mike Males, Feb 18, 2014
- There are much larger, unmentioned "epidemics" behind what we call "child prostititution" authorities and media splashes are refusing to confront
Millions of new dollars to fight Chicago "youth violence" -- but no new ideas
- Mike Males, Feb 12, 2014
- The new Get In Chicago partnership is raising tens of millions of dollars to "tackle juvenile violence" and wants "fresh approaches." Our first suggestion: stop tackling "juvenile violence" and start…
Being a Young African American Basketball Player is Dangerous to Your Health
- Randall G. Shelden, Jan 19, 2014
- They were walking this time. But I guess it does not matter whether you are standing still, walking or just sitting. If you are a young African American man living in an urban area, you are fair game…
New laws to help Californians clean up their records
- Selena Teji, Dec 19, 2013
- Two bills passed this year will help Californians with criminal histories reduce their barriers to employment and housing in 2014.
Providing hope and kindness to our children this winter
- Selena Teji, Dec 12, 2013
- CJCJ is very fortunate to work with extraordinary organizations that are committed to providing comfort and compassion to society’s most vulnerable members. Meet the Family Giving Tree.
Another Round of "Knockout Game" Idiocy
- Mike A. Males, Nov 26, 2013
- Many reporters and experts seem sadistically bent on creating fear in an aging population by manufacturing endless teen-violence panics
Knockout game: Videos of the teen attacks go viral; the crime’s not viral
- Nov 20, 2013
- Knockout game: A violent teen prank – seen in videos, but probably still an isolated trend – highlights the need to establish strong connections between young people and their community.
Sealing Juvenile Records: A Good First Step to Successful Reentry
- Daniel Ochoa, Nov 14, 2013
- Even for adults who are on track for successful reentry, a juvenile adjudication can still create many barriers to success. Sealing a juvenile record is one remedy that could provide valuable relief…
The Storm Has Arrived: Veterans in the Criminal Justice System
- Randall G. Shelden, Nov 12, 2013
- November 11th has been set aside to honor those who have served their country in the various branches of the military rarely a population that is recognized is the veterans sitting in jails and…
Immigration consequences of criminal convictions
- Selena Teji, Oct 22, 2013
- There are many collateral consequences to criminal convictions in California, such as barriers to employment, housing, and social services. An additional concern that criminal defense attorneys…
1–25 of 167 items | Next »
Explore how California’s 58 counties send their residents to correctional institutions with interactive maps, charts, and downloadable data.