News items related to Daniel Macallair
« Previous | 51–75 of 181 items | Next »
Counties dilemma: how to use funds for inmates
- Dec 5, 2011
- Counties dilemma: how to use funds for inmates San Francisco Chronicle, December 5, 2011
Jail Needs Assessment for San Mateo County: A preliminary analysis
- Dec 1, 2011
- Jail Needs Assessment for San Mateo County: A preliminary analysis
CDAA: ignoring the evidence
- Daniel Macallair, Nov 22, 2011
- Realignment has affected all branches of the criminal justice system. While sheriffs and probation departments scramble to implement innovate alternatives to incarceration and maximize their jail capacities without adequate funding, prosecutors, defense attorneys, and the courts are also faced with similar challenges. However, some county's prosecutors are not rising to the challenge, according to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle . In fact, while San Francisco DA George Gascón…
TCWF recognizes Executive Director Daniel Macallair for his leadership
- Nov 18, 2011
- Congratulations to Executive Director Daniel Macallair, who has been awarded the California Wellness Foundation Sabbatical Program Award for 2011! This leadership support program is now in its ninth year and aims to provide an opportunity for rejuvenation and promote the health of valuable leaders in the nonprofit health and human services sector. "I look forward to spending three months finishing my book on the Calfornia juvenile justice system." ~ CJCJ Executive Director Daniel…
Capitol Weekly conference on California prisons - handout and slides available
- Nov 17, 2011
- If you could not be at the Capitol Weekly conference today - California Prisons: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly - you can still get an insight into what Executive Director Daniel Macallair talked about during the reform panel, by checking out his presentation handout and slides , available on CJCJ's Resource Center . If you would like more information or to request related CJCJ publications, please contact Selena Teji, Communications Specialist at email@example.com or 415.621.5661 ext. 317.
PORAC's contribution to California's prison crisis
- Daniel Macallair, Nov 10, 2011
- The Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC), founded in 1953, is a special interest group that lobbies in Sacramento and influences California's criminal justice policymaking. PORAC's positions promoting incarceration and harsh sentencing goes against mainstream criminal justice policy - including mainstream conservatism. A new CJCJ publication, Promoting the "get tough" crime control agenda: The Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC) , reviewed…
Pete Brook interviews CJCJ's Executive Director Daniel Macallair
- Selena Teji, Oct 11, 2011
- Listen to this excellent podcast by Prison Photography's Pete Brook, interviewing CJCJ's Executive Director Daniel Macallair on the history of the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice and the evolution of criminal and juvenile justice in California. PPOTR #3: Interview with Dan Macallair of the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice by Pete Brook
Executive Director Daniel Macallair will present at Capitol Weekly Conference
- Oct 6, 2011
- Save the Date: November 17, 2011 . CJCJ Executive Director Daniel Macallair will be speaking at California's Prisons: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly , hosted by Capitol Weekly and the University of California. The full-day conference will feature four panel discussions centered on the challenges of California's penal system and correctional issues. Other speakers include: Don Novey, former head of the California Correctional Peace Officers Association; Jim Gomez, former state prisons director…
Why Curfews Don't Work
- Sep 7, 2011
- Why Curfews Don't Work East Bay Express, September 7, 2011
Executive Director Daniel Macallair presents at Texas Public Policy Foundation conference
- Aug 25, 2011
- The Texas Public Policy Foundation cordially invited CJCJ's Executive Director Daniel Macallair to present at a panel discussion on juvenile justice as part of the 19th Annual Meeting of the State Policy Network (SPN), on August 25, 2011 . Approximately 700 executives, scholars, researchers, and communications staff from the nation's state-based free-market think tanks attend the conference, as well as representatives from national organizations such as the Heritage Foundation, Cato…
The Pacifica Evening News
- Aug 23, 2011
- The Pacifica Evening News KPFA Radio, August 22, 2011
Executive Director Daniel Macallair pays tribute to Allen Breed
- Jul 27, 2011
- CJCJ's Executive Director, Daniel Macallair, honors the life and achievements of juvenile justice reformer Allen Breed, in this article published in the Juvenile Justice Information Exchange on July 27, 2011. Daniel Macallair: A Fond Farewell to Allen Breed
Daniel Macallair: A Fond Farewell to Allen Breed
- Jul 27, 2011
Daniel Macallair: A Fond Farewell to Allen Breed Juvenile Justice Information Exchange, July 27, 2011
Maryland Youth Curfew Bill Brings Protests
- Jul 22, 2011
- Maryland Youth Curfew Bill Brings Protests Epoch Times, July 21, 2011
The San Francisco Industrial School [Video]
- Jul 1, 2011
Student privacy vs. teacher safety
- Jun 14, 2011
- Student privacy vs. teacher safety Houston Chronicle, June 14, 2011
Renewing Juvenile Justice is now available on CJCJ's Resource Center
- Jun 10, 2011
- Commissioned by the Sierra Health Foundation, and authored by CJCJ, Renewing Juvenile Justice offers policy recommendations to move juvenile justice practices in California into the 21st Century.
Ending California prison overcrowding will be tall order
- May 25, 2011
- Ending California prison overcrowding will be tall order San Jose Mercury News, May 25, 2011
Counties feeling strain as state realigns juvenile justice model
- May 5, 2011
- Counties feeling strain as state realigns juvenile justice model San Francisco Chronicle, May 4, 2011.
Upcoming Forum on the Future of the California Juvenile Justice System
- Apr 8, 2011
- On April 19, 2011 CJCJ's Executive Director Daniel Macallair will join other leading juvenile justice advocates at the Warren Institute to discuss the Governor's proposal to realign juvenile justice to the county level. The discussion will focus on both the benefits and the obstacles inherent in the proposal. See the flyer for details, listed below as an attachment.
California's broken juvenile justice system: Proposal to cut state's system brings up ghosts of youth torture
- Apr 7, 2011
- California's broken juvenile justice system: Proposal to cut state's system brings up ghosts of youth torture The Guardsman, April 6, 2011.
Closing the Door on Juvenile Lockups
- Mar 30, 2011
- Closing the Door on Juvenile Lockups The American Prospect, March 29,2011.
California Counties Struggle to Take Over Juvenile Justice
- Mar 23, 2011
- California Counties Struggle to Take Over Juvenile Justice The California Report, March 23, 2011.
Brown's plan to shut down youth prisons derailed
- Mar 14, 2011
- Brown's plan to shut down youth prisons derailed California Watch, March 14, 2011.
At $50k a pop, which counties are sending low-level offenders to prison?
- Mar 9, 2011
- At $50k a pop, which counties are sending low-level offenders to prison? KALW News, March 9, 2011.
« Previous | 51–75 of 181 items | Next »
Explore how California’s 58 counties send their residents to correctional institutions with interactive maps, charts, and downloadable data.