Skip to main content
Americans fixate on the 5% of killings that involve youthful gunmen and/or mass shooters and ignore the other 95%. Unfortunately, we largely dismiss the 99% of rapes that do not involve young perpetrators and social media.
Senior Research Fellow Randall Shelden reflects on historic training schools as many bodies are found at Arthur G. Dozier School for Boys in Florida.
It was noted in part II of this series that girls who run away from home are often doing so because of sexual abuse at home. As reported in the New York Times an estimated 1.6 million juveniles run away from or are thrown out of their homes each year; over half are girls.
As noted in Part I of this series, running away and sexual abuse are much more significant in the lives of girls than boys. Sexual abuse is particularly salient for girls and may well propel girls into behaviors such as running away from home or other status offenses. As already noted, girls are much more likely than boys to be the victims of childhood sexual abuse: it has been estimated that roughly 70 percent of the victims are female.
Explore how California’s 58 counties send their residents to correctional institutions with interactive maps, charts, and downloadable data.
Facebook Twitter YouTube
Make a difference to youth and adults trying to get their lives back on track.
Get regular updates and news delivered to your inbox. We won’t share your information with anyone else.
About this site |
Contact us |
© 2016 Copyright by Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice. All rights reserved.