News items related to presentation
1–25 of 26 items | Next »
Daniel Macallair presenting at the California Correctional Crisis 2013
- Feb 15, 2013
On March 21-22, 2013, the Hastings Race and Poverty Law Journal, the UC Hastings Criminal Justice Institute, and the California Correctional Crisis Blog will present a symposium adrressing Realignment.
SFSU hosts panel on Promoting Public Policy Reform, Feb. 21, 2013
- Feb 14, 2013
On February 21, 2013, from 6:00 to 8:00 pm San Francisco State University is hosting a panel discussion entitled, Promoting Public Policy Reform from Inside and Outside Government, at SF State’s Downtown Campus, 835 Market Street, Room 609, SF, CA 94103.
CJCJ presents at WSC Conference 2013
- Jan 31, 2013
On Saturday, February 9, 2013, CJCJ will present at the Western Society of Criminology Annual Conference in Berkeley, CA.
Dan Macallair presents on juvenile justice at Congregation Sherith Israel, Feb. 2
- Jan 16, 2013
- On Saturday, February 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm , the San Francisco synagogue, Congregation Sherith Israel, is hosting a panel discussion on juvenile justice entitled, Rethinking Juvenile Justice: Get Tough or Get Smart? The panel will explore factors that increase the possibilities for rehabilitation and deter future criminal conduct by young offenders. Presenters include: ~ Daniel Macallair, CJCJ Executive Director ~ Bruce Fisher, Huckleberry Youth Programs Executive Director ~ Denise Coleman,…
CJCJ's Kimo Uila presents at TCWF Conference, Dec. 13
- Dec 10, 2012
- On December 12-13, 2012, The California Wellness Foundation (TCWF) is holding its annual Violence Prevention and California Peace Prize conference in Los Angeles, CA. CJCJ's Director of Juvenile Justice Services, Kimo Uila , will be presenting on Thursday, December 13, as a panelist on Concurrent Workshop III: Ensuring Public Safety Through Successful Juvenile Re-Entry . This panel will explore juvenile re-entry programs in three major counties in the state: Los Angeles, San Francisco and…
Senior Research Fellow Randall Shelden presents at ASC Conference 2012
- Nov 21, 2012
- On November 17, 2012, CJCJ Senior Research Fellow Randall G. Shelden presented at the American Society of Criminology Annual Conference in Chicago, IL. In the session titled The Politics of Punishment and Correction , Professor Shelden discussed his comparison of corporate crime to gang activity. Please access his PowerPoint presentation attached below. In addition, Professor Shelden has written about this issue extensively on CJCJ's blog, in a series entitled Is Wall Street a gang? …
WEBINAR: Local reform in a realigned environment, Sept. 27, 2012
- Sep 12, 2012
- On September 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm, Scott MacDonald , Chief Probation Officer of Santa Cruz County, and CJCJ's Kate McCracken will present on Local reform in a realigned environment . This webinar will address the local impact of realignment and that jurisdictions must examine targeted strategies to achieve public safety goals while effectively directing limited resources. It will highlight the Santa Cruz experience and the value of data-driven techniques to deliberately restructure…
CJCJ staff present on criminal justice policy & reform
- Brian Heller de Leon, Jul 13, 2012
- On Monday July 9, 2012 I co-presented with my colleague Gerald Miller on criminal justice policy and reform efforts to a group of college students from throughout Northern California. The students were participating in the Bay Area Urban Project , a 6-week urban immersion program that explores the major issues affecting lower-income communities in cities through a theological lens. The students in this program study immigration policy, education disparities, human trafficking, and other…
What does juvenile justice for "the 99%" look like?
- Selena Teji, May 1, 2012
- The National Lawyer's Guild Western Regional Conference on Saturday, April 28th, featured a panel on "Realignment and Juvenile Justice in California." The one day conference centered on the prominent "Occupy" movement and focused on the future of the socially and economically disenfranchised. It asked, what does justice for the 99% look like? Youth comprise one of the most vulnerable and pertinent populations for this discussion. They are marginalized in the political process and their…
CJCJ's Mike Males participates in CUNY conference, Apr. 23-24
- Apr 18, 2012
- Entitled "Kids Behind Bars: Where's the Justice in America's Juvenile Justice System? Covering the Juvenile Justice Reform Debate in 2012," the symposium will take place on Monday, April 23 and Tuesday, April 24, 2012 , at John Jay College (CUNY), in New York City. The event, which is supported by the Tow Foundation, will bring 25 of America's leading juvenile justice journalists and editors together with juvenile justice practitioners, scholars, legal authorities, public officials,…
CJCJ presents at SF-HRC hearing on Drug War, Apr. 12th
- Apr 10, 2012
- On Thursday April 12, 2012, in City Hall room 416, at 5:30 pm , the San Francisco Human Rights Commission is holding a public hearing on The Human Rights Impact of the War on Drugs . CJCJ's Selena Teji will be providing testimony on "Racial Disparities in Drug Law Enforcement in San Francisco" alongside Professor William Armaline from San José State University. The hearing will also be televised on http://www.sfgovtv.org/ . This hearing is designed to solicit feedback from people who have…
Selena Teji presents at SJSU War on Drugs panel Mar. 21, 2012
- Mar 20, 2012
- San Jose State University (SJSU)'s Justice Studies Department is kicking off their new Human Rights minor with a series of Human Rights panel discussions. The first is Wednesday, March 21st , 2012 from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm at the Student Union, Barrett Ballroom. Entitled Hip Hop, Social Justice and the War on Drugs , this event will be an eclectic mixture of music, culture, and policy featuring the following panelists: ~ Selena Teji, J.D., Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice (CJCJ) ~…
Daniel Macallair presents at SF's Youth-Police Commission hearing Mar. 7, 2012
- Mar 6, 2012
- The San Francisco Youth Commission and Police Commission are uniting on March 7, 2012 to hold a "Hearing on youth-police interactions." The hearing will be held in City Hall, Board of Supervisors Legislative Chambers, Room 250 at 6:00 pm. RSVP required. See attached flyer for more details. CJCJ Executive Director Daniel Macallair will discuss San Francisco's juvenile crime trends at the hearing. His handouts can be found here: ~ San Francisco youth crime at record low ~…
Can California reduce its juvenile justice recidivism rates?
- Feb 21, 2012
- A CJCJ co-sponsored event, Can California Reduce Its Juvenile Justice Recidivism Rates? is taking place today: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 in the California State Capitol, Room 126 at 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm . Testimony will be provided by juvenile justice experts and community organization grantees with recidivism rates below 15%. Executive Director, Daniel Macallair, will present recidivism data in California, San Francisco County's Juvenile Collaborative Reentry Team (JCRT) model, and…
CJCJ's Research Fellow will present at the ASC Conference Nov. 17, 2011
- Oct 19, 2011
- CJCJ's distinguished Senior Research Fellow will be presenting at the American Society of Criminology (ASC) annual conference at the Washington Hilton Hotel in Washington, D.C. on November 16-19, 2011. Senior Research Fellow Randall G. Shelden , Ph.D., will present his paper The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and It's Role in the Passage of Crime Control Legislation on Thursday, Nov. 17, in the panel session The Politics of Punishment and Corrections , 12:30 pm to 1:50 pm in…
Executive Director Daniel Macallair will present at Capitol Weekly Conference
- Oct 6, 2011
- Save the Date: November 17, 2011 . CJCJ Executive Director Daniel Macallair will be speaking at California's Prisons: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly , hosted by Capitol Weekly and the University of California. The full-day conference will feature four panel discussions centered on the challenges of California's penal system and correctional issues. Other speakers include: Don Novey, former head of the California Correctional Peace Officers Association; Jim Gomez, former state prisons director…
Senior Research Fellow Mike Males will present at DPA Conference Nov. 4, 2011
- Oct 5, 2011
- The International Drug Policy Reform Conference is a biennial event that brings together people from around the world who believe that the war on drugs is doing more harm than good. It brings together over 1,000 attendees representing 30 different countries. Senior Research Fellow, Mike Males, will be presenting at the panel, Connecting Juvenile Justice and Drug Policy Reform: Opportunities and Challenges Ahead , on Friday, Nov. 4 at 3:45 pm to 5:15 pm in Room San Gabriel A, Lobby Level. For…
CJCJ will present "Renewing Juvenile Justice" at OJJDP's 2011 National Conference
- Sep 30, 2011
- The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) selected CJCJ to present at the OJJDP's 2011 National Conference for Children's Justice and Safety on October 12-14! The Poster Session will feature presentations of recent program initiatives, research findings, and other information of interest to the juvenile justice, delinquency prevention, and victimization prevention communities. CJCJ's Deputy Director Dinky Manek Enty and Sierra Health Foundation's Matt Cervantes will…
Executive Director Daniel Macallair presents at Texas Public Policy Foundation conference
- Aug 25, 2011
- The Texas Public Policy Foundation cordially invited CJCJ's Executive Director Daniel Macallair to present at a panel discussion on juvenile justice as part of the 19th Annual Meeting of the State Policy Network (SPN), on August 25, 2011 . Approximately 700 executives, scholars, researchers, and communications staff from the nation's state-based free-market think tanks attend the conference, as well as representatives from national organizations such as the Heritage Foundation, Cato…
Upcoming Forum on the Future of the California Juvenile Justice System
- Apr 8, 2011
- On April 19, 2011 CJCJ's Executive Director Daniel Macallair will join other leading juvenile justice advocates at the Warren Institute to discuss the Governor's proposal to realign juvenile justice to the county level. The discussion will focus on both the benefits and the obstacles inherent in the proposal. See the flyer for details, listed below as an attachment.
CJCJ co-hosts the Correctional Crisis Conference
- Jul 21, 2010
- In June 2010 the Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice entered into a unique partnership with the California Correctional Peace Officer's Association by co-hosting the Correctional Crisis Conference. This collaborative effort convenes California's leading correctional experts and stakeholders from the entire spectrum of the criminal justice system. The goal of the roundtable discussions is to develop a set of policy recommendations for the gubernatorial candidates that will elevate the…
Juvenile Justice Reform in Hawaii
- Feb 19, 2010
- Daniel Macallair, Executive Director of CJCJ, recently presented on Juvenile Justice Reform in Hawaii at the Western Society of Criminology's 37th annual conference . Meda Chesney-Lind and Brian Bilsky (University of Hawaii-Manoa) and CJCJ's Senior Research Fellow Randall G. Shelden (University of Nevada-Las Vegas) were his co-presenters. Mr. Macallair's presentation focused on CJCJ's role in Hawaii's juvenile justice reform. In 1989, the Western Regional Office of the…
Executive Director Daniel Macallair presents to the Assembly Public Safety Committee on Marijuana Legislation
- Nov 4, 2009
- Daniel Macallair, Executive Director of CJCJ, presented to the Assembly Public Safety Committee on October 28, 2009. His presentation focused on marijuana arrest rates including demographic trends, imprisonment rates, and disparities between arrest rates within California counties. CJCJ's recently released report, " View Mr. Macallair's testimony to the State Assembly by clicking on his image or view the full informational hearing on Marijuana Legislation below. Part 1 of 3 …
Daniel Macallair and Catherine McCracken educate California state Judges on juvenile dispositional options
- Mar 9, 2009
- Daniel Macallair and Catherine McCracken educate California state Judges on juvenile dispositional options Executive Director Daniel Macallair, MPA and Sentencing Service Program Director Catherine McCracken, M.S., are leading experts in the development of presentence investigation reports for youthful offenders. Recently Mr. Macallair and Ms. McCracken educated California state Judges on juvenile dispositional options at the exclusive 2009 Juvenile Law Institute.
Daniel Macallair presents on "Juvenile Incarceration as Mitigation"
- Feb 20, 2009
- Executive Director Daniel Macallair, MPA is the leading national expert on juvenile institutional mitigation. He draws on his twenty-years experience in the development and analysis of youth and adult correctional policy. Recently, he presented on "Juvenile Incarceration as Mitigation" at the annual CACJ/CPDA capital case defense seminar. Their website is www.cacj.org .
1–25 of 26 items | Next »
Explore how California’s 58 counties send their residents to correctional institutions with interactive maps, charts, and downloadable data.